Xiangqun Chang published extensively when she worked in China. Her publications now amount to two million Chinese characters / English words. Xiangqun Chang's publications are written in Chinese and English comprised of the following categories: books, book chapters, edited volumes, dictionaries and handbooks, journal articles, and shorter publications. Below is a selected recent and forthcoming publications (excluding conference or seminar papers, lecture notes and editorial work).
- 2016 Forthcoming from Global Century Press. China Related Studies and Relationship Research on China (Vol. 2).
- 2016 Forthcoming from Global Century Press. Study of Fei Xiaotong’s Theories and Restudies on Kaixiangong Village (Vol. 1).
- 2010 Guanxi or Li Shang Wanglai: Social Support Networks, Reciprocity and Social Creativity in a Chinese Village (in English), Scholarly Publishing Business, Airiti Press, Inc.(see few book reviews in many journals, and two five-starred reviews on Amazon).
- 2010 Guanxi or Li Shang Wanglai: Social Support Networks, Reciprocity and Social Creativity in a Chinese Village (completed version in Chinese transitional characters), Scholarly Publishing Business, Airiti Press, Inc.
- 2009 Guanxi or Li shang wanglai: Social Support Networks, Reciprocity and Social Creativity in a Chinese Village, (in Chinese simplified characters) Trans., Mao Minghua, Liaoning People's Publishing House. (Book review, by Hong Park, in Journal of Japan-China Sociological Studies, Japan, Jan 2012; Review articles: (1) 2010 'Macro perspective of ‘personalised relationship’ and reciprocity', by Guo Aimin, Journal of Guangxi University for Nationalities (Philosophy and Social Sciences Edition), No. 5; (2) 2010 ‘A miniature of ‘Social gifts’ and ‘impersonal exchange’ in the south of Yangtze River region: Guanxi or Li shang wanglai? , Guo Aimin and Xu Hui, Agricultural History of China, No. 4.
- 1996 with Stephan Feuchtwang, Social Support in Rural China (1979-91): A Statistical Report on Ten Village, City University, UK.
- 1993. On Marxist Sociology. Zhengzhou: Henan People's Publishing House. [Note: (1) As a major work, this was selected for introduction in the Sociological Yearbook (1990-1993). Beijing: Encyclopaedic Publishing House of China. 1993. (2) A review of the book was published in Chinese Social Sciences 2: 195-196. Beijing, 1995.]
- Forthcoming. with Stephan Feuchtwang. ‘Rural social support in China -- A general report from ten villages’, Chapter 2, in Chang and Feuchtwang, Renqing: Human Relations in Rural China. London: Global Century Press.
- Forthcoming. ‘From Fei Xiaotong’s chaxugeju to lishang-wanglai -- a sociocultural perspective on the “China model”’, in Feuchtwang, Chang and Zhou, eds. Feixiaotong Studies. Vol. III. London: Global Century Press.
- 2015 'Guanxi or renqing – interpretation of the concept of ‘recipropriety (lishang-wanglai)’ in Chien Chiao, ed. Strategy and Relationships: Contemporary Chinese ways of thinking in management studies (in Chinese). Taipei: Airiti Press. p103-117.
- 2014. ‘Mianhuai Enshi Ding Kequan, Chuancheng Xiansheng Xueshu Yichan’ (Cherished memories of my solicitous mentor Ding Kequan, inherited academic heritages from my master), in Zhongjun Li et al., eds. Hongyi Shouzheng Duxing Rixin: Ding kequan Xiansheng Danchen 100 Zhounian Jinnian Wenji (Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of Professor Ding Kequan's Birth), Changchun: Northeast Normal University Press. pp. 53-57.
- 2014. ‘Introduction two: China model and society building’, in Xiangqun Chang, ed. Society building -- A China Model of Social Development, Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- 2014. ‘Qianyan er: Zhongguo Moshi yu Shehui Jianshe’ (Introduction two: China model and society building), in Xiangqun Chang, ed. Shehui Jianshe: Zhongguo Shehui Fazhan de Yizhong Moshi (Society building - a China model of social development), London: Global Century Press.
- 2014. 'Deeply cherishing the memory of Professor Lu Xueyi: a Chinese academic legend', in Xiangqun Chang, ed. Society Building -- A China Model of Social Development, Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- 2014. Shenqie Mianhua Jingai de Lu Xueyi Jiaoshou (Deeply cherish the memory of Professor Lu Xueyi: a Chinese academic legend), in X. Chang, ed. Shehui Jianshe: Zhongguo Shehui Fazhan de Yizhong Moshi (Society building -- A China Model of Social Development), London: Global Century Press.
- 2014. Shenqie Mianhua Jingai de Lu Xueyi Jiaoshou (Deeply cherish the memory of Professor Lu Xueyi: a Chinese academic legend), in Ji Wang Kai Lai – Lu Xueyi Xiansheng Jinian wenji (A Festschrift for Lu Xueyi), Institute of Sociology, CASS and School of Humanities and Social sciences, BJUT, eds., Beijing: Social Science Academy Press, China. P388-394.
- 2004 Equality and tolerance in academic debate -- Nativization and globalisation of Chinese anthropology, in Deng Zhenglai, A collection of the Discussion on Chinese Academic Standardization (Zhongguo Xueshu Guifanhua taolun wenxuan). Beijing Law Publication
- 2000 Rationalization in academic debates and a discussion on "Yangtze River Rewards", in Chinese Readers' Networks (ed.), Academic Power and Demarcation (Xueshu quanli yu minzhu). Xiamen: Lujiang Publishing House.
- 1999 (a) Equality and tolerance in academic debate -- Nativization and globalisation of Chinese anthropology. In Xu Jieshun (ed.), Nativization: The Great Trend of Anthropology (Bentuhua: renleixue de daqushi). Nanning: Guangxi Nationality Publishing House.
- 1999 (b) ‘“Fat pigs and women's gifts” -- Agnatic and non-agnatic social support relationships in Kaixiangong village (1979-1996).’ In West, Zhao, Chang and Cheng (eds.), Socio-economic Transformation in China and Chinese Women. Basingstoke and London: Macmillan Press Ltd.
- 1993 A chapter in Guide on the Original Works of Marxist Sociological Thoughts, in Zhang Xiangdong (ed.), Beijing: CCTV University Publishing House.
- 1992 "Sociological studies on some social problems." In the Selected Works on Social Stability and Reform. Tianjin: Tianjin Sociological Association.
- 1989 ‘Applied social control mechanisms in China's public security practice.’ In Beijing Sociological Association (ed.), Selected Works on Sociology and Social Reform.
- 2016 Recipropriety (lishang-wanglai): A Chinese model of social relationships and reciprocity – state and villagers’ interaction 1936–2014, Journal of Sociology, March 2016 vol. 52 no. 1 103-117.
- 2015 Transculturality and globalization of Chinese social sciences: vocabulary, invention and exploration (in Chinese). Journal of China in Comparative Perspective, June 1(1):195-208.
- 2015 Transculturality and globalization of Chinese social sciences: vocabulary, invention and exploration (in English). Journal of China in Comparative Perspective, June 1(1):29-47.
- 2013 ‘Say goodbye to utopia or not? Research into the institution of the people’s communes’ (a review essay), International Sociology, September, 28(5): 502-512.
- 2011 ‘Changing relationships between the state and villagers in a Chinese village - an analysis with lishang-wanglai’, (in Chinese), China Ethnology (Zhongguo Minzu Xue), No. 8.
- 2009 'An individual-society-state trichotomous model - analysis of the disappearance of a township and emerging of a community’, (in Chinese), Chinese Social Sciences Quarterly (Zhongguo Shehui Kexue Jikan). June
- 2008 ‘Making “place” and remaking “public philosophy”' (in Chinese), Journal of Guangxi University for Nationalities (Philosophy and Social Science Edition),
- 2000 ‘Equality and tolerance in academic debate - nativization and globalisation of Chinese anthropology, Journal of Guangxi University for Nationalities (Philosophy and Social Sciences Edition), No. 4: 7-14.
- 1991 ‘Theories of Marxist sociology’. Changchun: Social Science Front, No. 4.
- 1990 (a) ‘Branches of sociology and their function’. Tianjin: Sociology & Modernisation, No. 1.
- 1990 (b) ‘Positive methods of Marxist sociology’. Beijing: Sociology & Social Investigation, No. 2.
- 1990 (c) ‘Marxist sociological methodology’. Sociological Studies, No. 2. [Note:This was the third-prize winner in the Young Excellence Paper of the history of Sociological Researches established for ten years (1985-1995). See Sociological Studies, No. 2, 1996.]
- 1989 (a) ‘Historical materialism is a Marxist sociological tool of social analysis’. Nanchang: Contention, No. 1.
- 1989 (b) ‘On social models: a Marxist sociological analysis’. Social Science Front, No. 1. [Note: The paper was also selected for Sociology, No. 2, 1989. Books & Newspaper Data Centre. Beijing: People's University of China.]
- 1989 (c) ‘An outline of Marxist sociology’. Sociological Studies, No. 3, 1989. [Note: (1) The first-prize winner in the 1990 Academic Competition of the Chinese People’s Public Security University; (2) The paper was also selected for Sociology, No. 1. 1990. Books & Newspaper Data Centre, Beijing: People's University of China.]
- 1989 (d) ‘Social control mechanisms in the public security system’. Journal of Shandong Public Security College, No.4. Jinan. [Note: The paper was selected for the Collection of Excellent Works of the Chinese People’s Public Security University. 1990.]
- 1985 ‘Sociological studies on urban planning problems - a survey of Dalian urban planning practice’. Journal of Postgraduates. Changchun: Northeast Normal University, No. 2.
- 2016 Linking up with China, Network, Magazine of the British Sociological Association, Spring.p38.
- 2015 Zheng Hngsheng's life and work, Network, Magazine of the British Sociological Association, Spring.p44.
- 2014. Editorial. with Caldwell, Leoussi and Whimster, Max Weber Studies, Vol. 14.2.
- 2013. Obituary: Lu Xueyi 1933-2013, Network, Magazine of the British Sociological Association, Winter, p44.
- 2012 A female Chinese Londoner talks about work and life overseas, an interview by The Epoch Times (Chinese version), 8 March.
- 2011 with G. Hamilton. ‘China and world anthropology - a conversation on the legacy of Fei Xiaotong (1910-2005)’, Anthropology Today, No. 6.
- 2010 (a) with G. Hamilton. Cong Jiangcun Jingji dao Xiangtu Zhongguo (From Peasant Life in China to From the Soil), translation by Xiangqun Chang et al., China Reading Weekly, No. 294, 3 November.
- 2010 (b) with G. Hamilton, Meimei yu gong tianxia datong (Common beauty and unity of the world), translation by Xiangqun Chang et al., China Reading Weekly, No. 295, 17 November.
- 2010 (c) ‘Afterword’ for Social Changes in Kaixiangong Village (in Chinese), by Zhu Yunyun and Yao Fukun, Shanghai People’s Publishing House.
- 2007 A book review for Making Place: State Projects, Globalisation and Local Responses in China (ed. Stephan Feuchtwang, London: UCL Press. 2004), The China Review, Vol. 7, No. 1, Spring.
- 2005 ‘Preface’ to Remaking China's Public Philosophy and Chinese Women's Liberation: The Volatile Mixing of Confucianism, Marxism, and Feminism, by Jinghao Zhou, The Edwin Mellen Press Ltd. Zhou is the author of Remaking China's Public Philosophy for the Twenty-first Century, Westport, CT: Praeger, 2003.
- 1994 (a) ‘Back to human nature and rebuilt female images’. Hong Kong: Outpost Monthly, No. 1, December.
- 1994 (b) Processed data for Stephan Feuchtwang's paper ‘Social support arrangements among households in rich and poor villages: some preliminary results of an enquiry’, in Renate Krieg and Monika Schadler, eds, Social Security in the People's Republic of China. Hamburg: Mitteilungen des Institutsf enkunde.
Dictionaries & handbooks
- 2015. A short biographical essay on Fei Xiaotong, in Kerry Brown, ed. Berkshire Dictionary of Chinese Biography, the 4th Volume. Great Barrington: Berkshire Publishing Group LCC and Oxford University Press.
- 1994 Entries for Applied Encyclopaedia for Editors. Beijing: Books Publishing House.
- 1990 Entries for the Dictionary of World-Wide Known Politicians and Jurists. Beijing: Xueyuan Publishing House.
- 1989 (a) Entries for the Dictionary of Sociology. Beijing: People's Publishing House.
- 1989 (b) Selected work for the Marx's, Engels' and Lenin's Thoughts on Sociology. Beijing: People's Publishing House.
- 1988 Entries for the Comprehensive Handbook on Chinese Government Functionaries. Beijing: International Culture Publishing Company.
- 1987 Entries for An Encyclopaedia of Marxism, Vol. I. Changchun: Northeast Normal University Publishing House.